First update

The latest news & updates
Dan
Developer

First update

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 am

Hi there!

[This is copy and pasted from a few sites]

I decided to start work many years ago on effectively an alternative to mainstream solutions currently available when it comes to developing 2D rpgs. I have spent many years working with different game engines and found in particular the newer RPG Makers really lack the features which several people want and does not provide the flexibility the various different types of RPGs require.

My aim for RpgDev is to provide a set of tools and a game engine for people to develop desktop-targeted RPGs. The game engine is built on cross-platform technologies so it will support Linux, Mac and Windows operating systems. Mobile isn't ruled out; the only thing stopping me going down that route currently is resource.

What's so special about RpgDev? I'll provide a list of features currently implemented:

Implemented as of 03/06/2018:
Map
  • A technical layer limit of 4,294,967,295. This depends on hardware capability and realistically you would rarely use more than 2.
  • Have maps as small as 1x1 or bigger than your PC can handle.
  • Optimisation via batching.
  • No limit on tile set height or width.
  • Map sprite textures are grouped into bigger textures internally providing big performance increases and allowing you to use texture dimensions that would usually lag some other game engines.
  • Assign a collection of maps to a certain world; allowing you to move seamlessly between the map instances for open world scenarios.
  • Fog & tint options.
  • Lighting texture for each map You can use the editor to export map screenshots to be used in creating artificial lighting effects without overriding fog.
  • Collision system & terrain tags.
  • Event system with auto run, touch and interact triggers.
  • Mix different sprite sizes with scaling.
Game
  • Support any screen size while maintaining aspect ratio.
  • Built in 1x, 2x, 4x scale modes.
  • Custom splash screens while starting the game.
  • Midi playback support with the ability to change sound fonts on the fly, changing the playback speed and volume. Currently only support for .SF2 sound fonts.
  • Fade in/out transitions.
  • Font rendering.
  • XML file formats
  • Movement & animation.
Editor
  • Real time preview of changes No need to test play the game to see fog/screen tint changes.
  • Change tile set collision, priority and terrain tag options.
  • Paint/erase tiles and groups of tiles.
  • Modern interface supporting various screen sizes.
Scripting
  • C# 6.0 Class Library scripting
  • Ability to implement custom events and editors for the RpgDev Editor.
  • Thread-safe scripting API that you can extend with your own class library.
This list will expand in the future and it is just a list of features currently in place, I'll be getting a website launched soon but if you would like to see a video of some functionality see the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bKPcKaBwvo

(Please note the above video uses assets from Inquisitor at RPG Palace and Pokemon Essentials pack)

Here is a screenshot of the editor so far (Some of the layout is liable to change when I get the event windows fleshed out):

What I would like to know, for those of you out there; If you could ask for any feature in an RPG development toolkit (Like RPG Maker) what would you want?

Any feedback on what I have currently shown is greatly appreciated. Thank you for those who take the time to check this out. I'd love to hear from you!

Dan

Nessiah

Re: First update

Post by Nessiah » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 pm

I think the engine looks interesting but I have a few questions?
  • * How would you be able to sustain development such as updates and monetization?
    * Are there any milestones or roadmap for us to follow development to?
I genuinely like C# and it makes me happy to see a C# RPG Engine but I worry about investing on game engines at times.

Dan
Developer

Post by Dan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Nessiah

Welcome to the forums!

I work full time so I work on RpgDev outside of my day job on weekday evenings and weekends. In terms of monetisation; it depends on the maturity of the project.

I have no desire to put a pay wall up so I'd likely go with a model where the engine is free for non-commercial use, at the commercial point the pricing will not be expensive, I would go for a single purchase license like RPG Maker on Steam.

Documentation will come soon as well as a roadmap. I am in the process of building an appropriate list of priorities for the initial alpha release, I can't currently provide a time-frame but I will try and provide frequent updates.

This is definitely a serious project and it'll take a lot of hard work but ultimately worth it in my opinion.

What are some of the typical issues you face when considering a game engine? (Just curious)

Thanks for joining the forums,
Dan

Nessiah

Post by Nessiah » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Oh, that's very interesting to hear! Can't wait to hear more details about the project.
What are some of the typical issues you face when considering a game engine? (Just curious)
I hope this is not too imposing but the ones on top of my head:

- Barrier to Entry and Documentation. Surprisingly a lot of game engines have horrible and/or outdated documentation and it drives me nuts.

- The lack of Built-In Localization Support.

- The lack of support for Branching Narrative Games. Especially with dynamic choices. I usually have to buy one.

- Non-existent support for pixel-art games. I wish there's a way to disable smoothing on specific parts of a game even in full screen.

- The game engine I'm using won't let me append to the editor...and even when they do, they rely on the storefront to just provide basic stuff. *coughs*unity*coughs*

- The lack of support for stuff like Spine or Spriter.

- Lack of tools to make user easily customize game settings like keyboard controls, gamepad controls, screen resolution. QoL stuff like that.

- It is surprisingly hard to find a good animation editor for battle effects or even sideview support...

- There is no way to edit the UI in a much more modular manner. It's not very friendly most of the time.

Dan
Developer

Post by Dan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Some great points there. Hopefully RpgDev can/will fulfil some of those needs.

Documentation - I completely agree; few engines do this right and is really a must. I do plan on having fairly comprehensive documentation and will be looking for someone to specifically maintain and keep it up to date once in place.

Localisation is definitely on table, the engine is already being developed will full Unicode support, I'll have to take a look at right to left rendering etc, but I also do plan on having localisation files for string look-ups too.

I am hoping the visual scripting interface that I am currently working on will allow much more complex conditional logic for more in depth and dynamic stories.

With regards to pixel art and other engines filtering textures, RpgDev is built primarily as an engine for pixel art games. It does not use any filtering on textures because of this very reason.

I have described elsewhere on the forum how I plan to have tight integration with the community store and editor but I also want to have a very high level of customisation and integration for scripts and plugins so hopefully RpgDev will be able to fulfil this requirement.

I completely agree with the usability point about controls and screen resolution. The RpgDev Player has already got some pretty cool scaling/screen resolution features that I will be hoping to show off soon. (It doesn't stretch the screen, supports Windowed mode and resizing while maintaining aspect ratio)

I'd love to hear any ideas you may have around animation editing, what are some of the flaws/annoyances you usually have when using alternative solutions?

In terms of UI, RpgDev will have a WYSIWYG designer for UI modules as I completely agree with how tedious making custom menus/screens in engines like RPG Maker is.

Hopefully this sheds some light on where I want to go for RpgDev. You've made some fantastic points and I am keen to address all of them.

Regards
Dan

Nessiah

Post by Nessiah » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 am

It sounds pretty promising so far. If you need a beta tester I'd be happy to look over it too! Can't wait to see this project take off :D

Archivel41

I am the new guy

Post by Archivel41 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:30 am

borelisspro opiniones

You actually revealed it very well!
Stop by my blog post ... newage cream dĂłnde comprar

Francoi88

Im glad I now signed up

Post by Francoi88 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Extrasize views

Kudos, Great information.

Ashleyy83