Visual Scripting

Post your ideas and suggestions
Rukiri

Visual Scripting

Post by Rukiri » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:00 am

Visual Scripting has become a thing in recent years and Godot of all engines got it right, it's not as powerful as Unreal's Blueprints but it is very customizable.

With it you can create a custom nodes (event actions) so you can do a lot of custom things but this does require programming and since C# is the scripting language you'd create the custom node in C# but I hope nodes could be shared or details in how to re-create the note.

Otherwise RM Like Eventing is nice, but please for the love of god include data structures as it's almost impossible to do with rm events without the scriptbox.

Dan
Developer

Re: Visual Scripting

Post by Dan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:04 pm

I love the idea and it is actually on the road map :P I am a huge fan of the state-machine premise and node-based editing. This will also provide additional benefits when it comes to more advanced conditional logic which can get very messy in the traditional RPG Makers for example.

Rukiri

Post by Rukiri » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:04 pm
I love the idea and it is actually on the road map :P I am a huge fan of the state-machine premise and node-based editing. This will also provide additional benefits when it comes to more advanced conditional logic which can get very messy in the traditional RPG Makers for example.
Don't get me started, if you open up an Rm2k/3 project which every system is custom the logic and event length goes thru the roof and I have no idea how people managed it back in the day... for an ABS (every event had to be pasted over...) it was a nightmare!

I found Game Maker shortly after Rm2k/3 was released and is what I'm most comfortable with.
I am looking at Godot as it does have C#/mono support but isn't quite there yet.

Dan
Developer

Post by Dan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Well feel free to post any of your work in these forums (I know it's just you and me at the moment, hopefully more will come soon, I need to get the word out more)

Indeed it's one of the reasons I found myself wanting to develop a solution specifically targeted at RPGs and the old school RPG maker crowd.

I will hopefully have something to show in the coming weeks in terms of events and visual scripting so look out :)